Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Paan & Fortune Telling

There's a wonderful restaurant in Hyderabad called Paradise which has become so famous that the area around it is also called Paradise. After a scrumptious lunch there with Ruthu and Lakshmi, I tried paan for the first time.



The fortune teller, clearly stoked, let the parrot out of the cage so that it could choose a card for me. The card showed Lord Venkateshwara, a form of Lord Vishnu who is The Protector. My clairvoyant guide said a few interesting things in Hindi that my companions had to translate for me:

- My bad times are over and my good times are beginning
- Whatever I want to do will be a success
- Whatever I have in my heart I speak
- I will have 3 kids, two boys and one girl
- I will live to be 95

Ok, so it was pretty generic. What can you expect for the price of 50 rupees (about $1)? I thanked him, gave the parrot a thumbs up for picking a winner, and exclaimed, "Let the good times begin!"

1 comment:

  1. Parrot is Indianised Tarrot.
    It because you gave him 50 bucks, 100 bucks would have been more generous :)
    It seems you having a blast around

    ReplyDelete